First off, I will admit, I have never been a cake person. Only when I started baking them myself did I begin to take a liking to the moist airy treat. So imagine my excitement when I found the best chocolate cake recipe I have ever tasted and made it first for my brothers birthday and since then for all my friends, family and colleagues from work and I haven’t had time to post it. Everybody loved it, asked for the recipe and ask me when I will make one again 🙂
Layered with a creamy fudge frosting, this easy-to-make cake is moist with a deep chocolate flavor. My favorite choice for a classic celebration cake! And the best part? It’s both easy and quick to put together. How can you not love a recipe that’s that simple (and that delicious)?
Don’t believe me that it’s the best? Bake it! You can thank me later. 🙂
For the cake:
- 85 gr cocoa
- 300 gr sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
For the frosting :
275 gr confectioners sugar
2 tbsp cocoa
Pinch of salt
170 gr cream cheese – room temperature
175 gr butter – soft
250 gr bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
180 gr sour creme
- Preheat oven to 170˚C . Butter two 20 cm round cake pans; dust with cocoa.
- Sift cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of a mixer. Beat on low speed until just combined
- Raise speed to medium, and add eggs, buttermilk, water, oil, and vanilla. Beat until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Divide batter between pans.
- Bake until set and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 35 minutes
- Let cool for 15 minutes. Turn out from pans. Transfer, face up, to wire racks. Let cool completely.
- To make the frosting, sift together sugar, cocoa, and salt.
- Beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth.
- Reduce speed to medium-low; gradually add sugar-cocoa mixture, and beat until combined.
- Pour in chocolate in a slow, steady stream. Add sour creme ; beat until combined.
- Spread 2 cups chocolate frosting onto top of 1 cooled layer of cake.
- Top with remaining layer; frost top and sides with remaining 2 cups frosting.
- Decorate with fruits and other decorations that you like !
“Cooking well doesn’t mean cooking fancy !”